Who We Are
The Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Barbuda Affairs (MAFBA) has responsibility for policy, legislation, general oversight to and administrative governance of the operations within and related to the Agriculture sector and its allied agencies and institutions as well as Barbuda Affairs.
The work of the MAFBA is executed through an institutional network of interrelated entities consisting of the Department of Agriculture, Allied Divisions, the Barbuda Council, Corporations and Organizations, Special projects and International and Regional Development Partners.
Program monitoring, coordination, review and updates are achieved through regular meetings of Heads of the various pillars of the Ministry and periodic progress reports.
A multi-dimensional approach has been adopted in the implementation of the work program of the MAFBA and as such significant linkages have been established with Tourism, Trade, Health, Finance, Social Transformation, Foreign Affairs, faith-based organizations, youth groups women’s groups, the military and other stakeholder organizations such as the prison and the army.
The Ministry’s program are supported by its development partners through the provision of technical, financial and human resources to facilitate capacity building as well as infrastructure and institutional strengthening.
Key Operational Features of the Ministry
- The Corporate activities are conducted through the Administration, Finance and Human Resource Department based in the Headquarters (HQ).
- Technical field support services for crop and livestock production (including backyard gardening) are delivered respectively through the Extension Department and the Veterinary and Livestock Unit. These are closely linked to a network of Agricultural outreach Stations located in the major agro-ecological zones across Antigua and Barbuda thereby providing tangible Interface with wider public. These stations are also pivotal to the adaptation and testing of technology as well as provision of clean planting material and breeding stock for small ruminants and cattle.
- The National Fisheries and Marine resources are regulated and managed by the Fisheries Division with its associated units strategically located throughout Antigua and Barbuda. Page 5 of 17
- Cadastral services are provided through the Lands and Surveys divisions. These include surveying services, production of maps of Antigua/Barbuda and updating and maintaining the Land Registry
- The Regulatory and trans boundary control and protection services are mainly provided through the Plant and Animal quarantine services of the Department of Agriculture, the Fisheries Division and the Pesticide and Toxic Chemicals control Board.
- Testing and Analytic services are provided through the Analytic services Division which also services other Government Departments as well as the private sector.
- Several State agencies and Corporations responsible to the Minister, implement activities that are related to the wider functioning of the sector.
- The Ministry’s program are supported by its development partners through the provision of technical, financial and human resources to facilitate capacity building as well as infrastructure and institutional strengthening.